Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Oh last October...

      While laughing hard at the Braves not putting up any fight and being eliminated in the NLDS by the Dodgers last night then noticing the Tigers and Rays face elimination tonight, of course I can only think of one thing: October 12, 2012.
 
      The night started out beautifully. I slept in that day, waking up with a sense of calm and no need for coffee (which is extremely rare). I showered, put my favorite Nationals gear in the wash, and made calls to see where I will plant my butt for a few hours during the evening. I went over to the parents' house for an early dinner then called Brian to see if he wanted to come out, the answer was yes and then I heard from Zach:


I went home and put my freshly washed gear on and headed to Zach's. I was excited. Beyond excited. My favorite team in my favorite sport was playing in a 2-2 tied series against the St Louis Cardinals. Better than that, I was quite confident we would win. 

       The game started fast. Nationals' hitters plated 6 runs in 2.2 innings and Gio was mowing the Cards down. Then started to hiccup a run here and there before completely falling apart. Once the Cardinals bats got hot, they were scorching. Here's the statistical recap:http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=321012120.

           I remember just like yesterday. We were up 7-5, top of the Ninth, all we needed was for our great young closer (Drew Storen) to get 3 outs. That's all we needed. All of us were very tense sitting in the room, we noticed Drew's eyes were really big and really bloodshot, so he was obviously nervous. Then before every pitch you could see his glove shaking, basically convulsing in a tremor! That's when it was apparent that he was rattled. Then he gave up 4 runs, we lost 9-7 and had 3 quick outs in the bottom of the 9th to end it. 

       The point in me reminiscing on this day of last year, is not to put myself through more torture (even though us Washington sports fans must enjoy the pain ,being as what we've been through), it's the fact that, on that night, as painful as it was, we were rooting for our team in an elimination game of the playoffs. A theme we will not host in this town in 2013. That sucks more than the game 5 loss.
       Buy hey, at least the Braves lost!
-Will

No comments:

Post a Comment