Saturday, January 25, 2014

Caps problems accumulating

All fans know the Caps have been struggling bad as of late. In this article, another writer (Will F.) and myself (Zach H.), are going to discuss what we believe the team's biggest issues are and some realistic solutions.
 
Zach: Ya know, the Caps have taken too many penalties throughout this losing stretch. Not only are they taking penalties, they're taking dumb penalties. There's just no excuse for stuff like clearing the puck over the glass, when your a goal down in the 3rd period. When their penalty kill is performing as awful as it is right now, it may be a good idea to stay disciplined on the ice. That kind of thing isn't, and shouldn't have to be, coached at the NHL level.
 
Will:  I agree with that. But I'd also like to add, a long standing problem with this team is their reliance on Alexander Ovechkin. When your star player goes on a cold streak, you mean to tell me nobody else on the team can step up and get hot? Backstrom is the exception mostly because he's predominantly on the same line as the Great 8. I don't know, it's just frustrating...
 
Zach: It is frustrating! This club has been breaking fans hearts since they joined the NHL in 1974-75. I'm glad you brought up the point of "the rest of the team needing to step up". Ya know, you look at players like Troy Brouwer and Brooks Laich who have been solid in the past and who were expected to have big seasons, and they aren't producing goals and points. I personally thought Brouwer broke out last year and would be a 30-40 goal scorer this year. He averaged about a half goal a game last year, so who would have thought at this point he would only have 9 goals? Although Laich has looked better the last few games, he just hasn't been the same player he was before the ongoing groin injuries began.
 
Will: for sure. Laich and Brouwer should have stepped up. Laich always has that cliche "locker room leader" bit going on that it doesn't even matter when it comes to production. He's actually a guy I deem expendable! So what if you're loved by fans and teammates. Professional sports has a proper question, "what have you done for me lately?", so yea Brooks, what the ___ dude?
 
Zach: It looks like Kuznetsov (a KHL superstar), has decided he's coming to North America for next season. I think it's really gonna happen this time. It's a definite fact that he's broken all [contract-extension] negotiations with his KHL team, Tractor Chelyabinsk. I think he will provide the 2nd line scoring consistency we've been looking for. Grabo will most likely be extended, and him and Kuznetsov could be something special. Not too mention a powerplay booster.
 
Will: I can't pretend to know who that is. What position does he play? How do we know he'll play for Washington? You know I'm just a casual fan...
 
Zach: Well he was drafted by the Caps as a center, but he's played right wing for Traktor the last few seasons. Mcphee had 2nd line center in mind when drafting him, but with Grabo as a nice fit at 2nd line center, I'd expect them to play him at right wing. He has been known to have a bit of trouble on the faceoff dot, but he's been a top 5 NHL prospect per hockeysfuture.com since 2011. HAS had some injury issues, but his skill level is why the Caps haven't gave up on his arrival and traded his rights. He has yet to join the Caps in the NHL since being drafted in 2010 so they obviously still own his rights.
So, what do you think about this defense Will? Do you see anyone as possible  bait come the March 5th trade deadline?
 
Will: Wow that guy seems like a difference maker for sure. To me, there's two people I would bait to improve the Defense. It's Braden Holtby and Mike Green. As you know, I can't stand Mike Green. His defense is infuriating. When Oate's says in the media "I think Green could've laid down in front of that." It's obvious he isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing and what he's PAID TO DO! But I also understand his contract is hard to move. Holtby is also so streaky and up-and-down that I'd rather go with Grubauer and Nuevy. But that's just my two cents...
 
Zach: I totally agree with that. Holtby hasn't been as consistent as Neuvirth over there NHL careers. I think Holtby is having problems with positioning in the net. But as for the defense, outside of Carlson and Alzner, I feel like everyone is possibly expendable. Star players don't score very often against the Caps and the reason for that is Carlson and Alzner are good at shutting them down. Most of the goals scored against the Caps is from opposing teams second and third waves. Green and Orlov have been very risky with the puck and as a result we see a ton of odd man rushes. I know offensive minded defensemen are a new trend in the league but you need some guys in your lineup, who can play defense better then offense on the blueline. I think Mcphee is going to get that problem solved at the deadline.
 
Will: I hope so. The holes in this team are really obvious and you have to believe GMGM will make the proper moves. That does it for me, here's to a (hopefully) more exciting second half of the season! 
 
Zach: I think if the Caps can get a win or two, they can pull themselves out of this wreck. The trade deadline will definitely be interesting. Until then I'll be watching every game win or lose because I just love hockey and the Caps that much.
 
Thanks for Reading,
 
Zach Hart and Will Facciolo
Shades of Red


This article is featured in a weekly sports column for "Bristow Beat"

Check out their page and follow them on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment