Thursday, March 6, 2014

Talking Halak Trade with the Junkies

This morning I called into the Junkies on 106.7 to talk about the Caps. One of the first questions they asked: What's your feelings on the Halak trade. I didn't get to finish everything I had to say, so I'll finish here.


I began by talking about how excellent Halak played against the (President's Trophy winning) Caps in the playoffs and I got the response from the Junkies that I was expecting. "But that was 4 years ago!" Which is understandable. But has he been bad since then? Not really. This season he has 24-9-4 record and a 2.23 GAA. At 28 years old, the guy has accomplished more then goalies that have 10 years playing time on him.


Holtby hasn't been the most consistent goalie this season. But the bad news is, if you pull up his career stats, he has gotten worse every season and that's not what you want to see from an up and coming goalie. He's famous for making a few incredible saves and then giving up a should-be save...or 3. I know the defense is partly to blame and that brings me to my next point. Isn't it amazing that in last nights game in Philly, Holtby gets pulled for Grubauer and the Caps score four goals? I know it sounds silly, but it's obvious. The Caps have played better when someone other then Holtby is in the net. I'm expecting Halak to get the start against Boston tonight so let's use it as a test of this theory.


In the end, Halak may or may not work out. But the fact is, Neuvy wanted out of Washington. He may not have requested it as often and through the media (like Erat), but he did ask for it so he needed to go. Other players were questioning where his head was and when that happens, it's a good idea to rid the locker room of that headache.


Thanks for having me on 106.7!


Zach From Haymarket
Shades of Red D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment